1. The most I’ve spent this last week was, besides for bills, on a new phone: more to follow later this week.
2. Today I am thankful for tomatoes! Mine have failed miserably, but this weekend I received 2 pints of cherry tomatoes and 10 lbs (!) of Romas.
3. Money can’t buy happiness. One free thing I did last week that made me happy was go window shopping in historic downtown with a friend.
4. I will consider this week a success if I get my submissions for the county fair ready!
5. I am trying to incorporate more fruit in my diet. I know this sounds strange, particularly from a vegetarian who adores veggies as much as I do, but I really don’t like fruit. I’ll eat it, but only while making yucky faces.
Weekly Money Check-Up is a weekly series on My Pretty Pennies. To participate, please go visit Ginna’s blog for more information!
Have I mentioned lately how much I love Freecycle? Because I do.
Earlier this week, there was a posting for a bunch of unused spices. I love to cook, and spices are expensive, so I said yes! But y’all, this wasn’t just some regular old McCormick cumin from Safeway; it turned out to be two boxed sets from a fancy spice store in Chicago. I now have the International Salt-Free collection, as well as the Ethnic Chicago Neighborhoods complete set. Plus, both sets came packaged with lose herbs and spices, so now I have a whole new jar’s worth of bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. They all smell so yummy, and I’ve been having lots of fun with them already. It’s been fun playing with my salad dressing and adding flavor to my afternoon snack of air-popped popcorn. (Yes, I’m the person who makes popcorn in the office microwave. I’m sorry, but it’s delicious.)I can’t wait to see what tweaks I can make to some of my old standard recipes.