In order to save on energy bills this summer, I’ve been avoiding running my air conditioning unless I have friends over. It’s not too bad, particularly after I sit in my freakishly cold office all day, but I have learned a few tricks for keeping cool.
- Top knot. If my hair is off my neck, I feel way cooler.
- Strip it off. As soon as I get home, I get down to as few layers as possible. Currently I’m rocking a tank and short shorts that I’d never wear in public, but I’m also a huge fan of pulling out an old sarong.
- Cucumber water. My vegetable bin is overflowing with cucumbers, which are delicious sliced up into a pitcher of water. Also, it saves me from having to eat any more of those, since I’m going to burn out soon.
- Popsicles. I’m currently obsessed with homemade fruit popsicles. Puree some seasonal fruit, add a pinch of sugar, pour into molds and you’re done. Right now I have a batch of blueberry, peach, and blood orange. A friend always has several strawberry lemon.
- Fan. Fortunately this area has low humidity and cool off from 100 during the day to 55 at night. I’ve perfected propping a fan in the window of my second story bedroom window and can lower the temperature of my room by almost 10 degrees.
Any other tips for keeping cool during a hot summer?